Sunday, October 01, 2006

Panama Project Tales: Day 1

June 26, 2006, Rio Mar

I arrive to Michael’s house in Rio Mar and find the porch littered with backpacks of all sorts and sizes. I must be in the right place. I unload my belongings and prepare to meet the team that makes up Panama Project. I greet Michael and his sister Annie who has also tagged along with the group to make it an even 18 people. Adding myself, 19. Although, I quickly find out that 19 will turn into 18 for the trip to the farm.

Cameron is a red-haired native of Wales. He is a jolly chap with a hearty appetite and an aversion to using doors. I meet him sitting quite glumly on a chair reading a book. His leg adorned with 14 stitches he had acquired at a nearby clinic. Without having to ask, I am told he was attempting to exit the household through a window. He was unsuccessful, to say the least, and gashed his shin on the frame. He would not be going to the farm. He would have to stay behind and comfort himself with a 15-day dose of painkillers and antibiotics. Fortunately, he would not be left alone.

A fellow by the name of Jahawi would be his companion at the beach. A native of Kenya, he was one of the first to arrive in Panama along with Cameron. Jahawi shall not be going to the farm either. In fact, he is not even part of Panama Project. He came all the way from AC for a single purpose: To surf the Pacific Ocean. That is his passion and that is his project; the Jahawi Surf Project. And although Cameron will be unable to surf, Jahawi will keep him company when the swell is down.

I meet and greet the rest of the team (who will be introduced along the way) and we have dinner. Day 2 will begin at 6:00 AM so we try to rest up for the night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Jahawi Surf Project all the way baby!!!!!!!!! :D Hey, was just playing around, saw this and thought i might drop by and say hey :) Hows everything going? I guess i'll see u in Panama next time...
All the best