Saturday, February 24, 2007

A Mongolian Tale: A day of rest

August 6, 2006, Ulaan Bataar, Republic of Mongolia

Late morning. (Observations in retrospect)

I awake to the soothing after-taste of two Hites (Korea’s finest beer) and five Chinggis vodka tonics. The Emerald restaurant, I believe it was called, was where we dined the night prior. Climbing to its second floor location we were seated in its narrow balcony. I ordered the Caesar salad and it was quite delectable, I think. Andy ordered the pasta Carbonera, which was of a lesser taste as I recall. The service began quite well, until the waitress handed us the menus. She began seemingly nervous, as if it was her first day. But soon we realized she was not nervous, but indeed awkwardly tardy and aloof. After spotting her laughing and chatting it about with her co-worker, it became clear she was more uninterested than anything else. But we stayed and the Chinggis vodka flowed.

At some point after the entrĂ©e and two Hites a strong gust of wind entered the city from the south. At least I remember it as the south. It was the first flash storm I would experience in this arid country. Lighting flashed and thunder, well… thundered making the other patrons on the balcony seek shelter inside. The beast was almost upon us, but we held steadfast. The cloth tarp covering us would surely repel any water. And it did for the few moments when rain fell straight down. I take a final swig from my first Chingis vodka tonic and we go inside.

We are re-accommodated and I order another Chingis. I still have about half a can left of tonic and try to explain to the waitress that only the vodka is required. Not surprisingly, I am brought a fresh glass of vodka tonic with an additional half can of tonic. I have two half-cans of tonics in front of me, which should have been no can of tonic. Oh well. By this time it is pouring outside and I calculate I’ll have to order two more vodka shots to mix with the remaining two half-cans of tonic. It’ll be tough. Meanwhile, we converse about things I won’t remember thanks to the Chengiss. The storm has passed and left a fresh cool scent in the air. I am drinking a cold glass of tonic water. That’s right. I have finished my fifth and final Chengiss vodka tonic and settled to finish 3 half-cans of tonic; I managed to get the message across on the fifth one.

Construction noise rings my ears. It is late morning and I awake trying to piece together the night’s happenings and how I managed to get home in a city I’ve known for less than three days. Oh right, Andy and Lili were there; good thing. The hammering continues. I look out the window and marvel at the four-story building being erected by Chinese immigrants. They build by hand using rudimentary tools, brick by red brick. The most impressive of all is the fact that they worked until 10PM two nights ago and today is Sunday! That means they probably worked until 10PM yesterday too! I momentarily forget my misery (hangover) and spend the rest of the day pondering the situation.






No comments: